What To Do When A WordPress Plugin Causes An Error
plugins are at the heart of WordPress’ prosperity. A plugin is just a progression of capacities that can be added to your WordPress site to augment its usefulness. Many subject engineers include this extra code through WordPress topics, however plugins are a more useful answer for most site proprietors as they can be turned on and off.
Lamentably, similar to any bit of coding, issues can happen when you utilize plugins.
A plugin mistake can be a disturbing issue to manage; especially in the event that you have never confronted it. plugin blunders can happen after you have introduced the plugin, after you have redesigned the plugin, or after you have overhauled WordPress.
Mistakes are brought on by various issues including:
- Bad Coding – A poorly coded plugin will cause problems regardless of what theme and plugins you are using.
- Conflict with WordPress – Plugin code can be incompatible with the code used in the WordPress core files. Due to this, most plugin developers update their plugins after a new version of WordPress has been released to ensure that their plugin is still compatible. Unfortunately, many plugin developers do not do this, which is why you need to be extra careful when installing older plugins.
- Conflict with Another Plugin – Plugins do not always play nice together, particularly when the plugins offer similar functionality.
- Conflict with Your Theme – Many theme functions are placed in the theme’s functions.php file. The principle of extending a theme’s functionality using functions is the same as adding functionality through a plugin. As such, problems can occur if it is coded badly or if it conflicts with another plugin.
Mistakes can influence WordPress in various ways. In a most ideal situation, the plugin will essentially demonstrate a mistake message in your administrator range or stop the plugin working in the way it ought to (e.g. not showing the gadget accurately). You may likewise need to face blunders being shown on your live site, which can display an amateurish picture of you and your business.
The feared situation is the white screen of death. On the off chance that this happens in the administrator region, this clear screen will keep you from administrating your site. In the event that you are truly unfortunate, the white screen of death may likewise be shown on your live site. This is the point where many individuals begin to freeze, be that as it may you require not stress a lot as in this article I will demonstrate to you what to do when you confront a plugin blunder.
What to Do If You Can See an Error Message
The way to settling any plugin blunder is to find the plugin that is bringing about the mistake and deactivate it. This is straight forward when a mistake code is shown as the area of the tricky record will be shown in the blunder message.
For instance, lets say you upgraded a few plugin in the meantime, making it hard to know which plugin is bringing on the mistake. The mistake message would incorporate the outright area of the document bringing about the issue.
If the error message noted that the error was coming from /home/myaccount/public_html/wp-content/plugins/jetpack/jetpack.php, then you would know that the error was being caused by the Jetpack plugin. You can then deactivate the plugin and contact the plugin developer to advise them of the issue.
What to Do If You Can Access Your Plugin Administration Page
On the off chance that there is no mistake message, or if the blunder message does not help show the plugin that is bringing about the blunder; you should find the issue plugin physically.
To do this, you initially need to deactivate the greater part of your plugins. You can do this rapidly utilizing the mass activity alternative at the highest point of the principle plugins page i.e. www.yourwebsites.com/wp-administrator/plugins.php.
When all plugins must be deactivated, you have to reactivate your plugins one by one. Every time you initiate a plugin, check your live site to check whether the blunder message is being shown. This procedure may take a couple of minutes, be that as it may it is a full confirmation method for finding what plugin is bringing about the issue.
On the off chance that you deactivate all plugins and the blunder is as yet being shown, you will have affirmation that a WordPress plugin is not the reason for the mistake.
What to Do If You Are See the White Screen of Death In Your Admin Area
On the off chance that the white screen of death is being shown in your administrator region, you won’t have the capacity to deactivate the greater part of your plugins through the WordPress administrator region.
Gratefully, there is a simple approach to deactivate the majority of your plugins. All you have to do is:
- Connect to your website using a File Transfer Protocol (FTP) client such as FileZilla.
- Backup all of the plugin files and folders located at www.yourwebsite.com/wp-content/plugins/ to a safe location on your computer.
- Delete all of the plugins and folders within your plugin folder.
- Re-upload all of your plugins to the plugin folder.
Erasing the majority of your plugins will naturally deactivate them, notwithstanding they are not consequently reactivated once you transfer the plugin records once more.
With all plugins now deactivated, you can now reactivate them one by one and find the hazardous plugin.
Is the Plugin the Cause of My Error?
plugins may not be the wellspring of your mistakes. As I noted above, on the off chance that you deactivated the greater part of your plugins (through the administrator zone or by erasing the plugins by means of FTP) and still observe a similar mistake; then a plugin is not the cause.
The no doubt source is your topic. More topic engineers are adding extra usefulness to their outlines. The drawback to this is this builds the possibility of the subject conflicting with a plugin; especially in the event that you introduce a plugin that introduces comparable usefulness.
For instance, many topic designers duplicate the code from the WP-PageNavi plugin straightforwardly into their subject functions.php record so that their topics have pagination. On the off chance that you needed to introduce this plugin yourself (or a comparable plugin), you would see a mistake.
Your issue may likewise be brought on by:
- A Corrupt .htaccess File – To check if your .htaccess file is causing you problems, delete the file via FTP and upload the last safe version of it from your backups.
- Reaching Your CPU or Memory Limits – Some WordPress plugins are notorious for being CPU and memory hogs. You may see the white screen of death if you have exceeded your allowed limits. This is why it is so important to be conscious of the resources your website is using.
- Corrupted Core Files – Core WordPress files can sometimes be corrupted on upload. It is prudent to re-upload all core WordPress files to ensure the core files have uploaded correctly.
plugin mistakes are a stark update that you ought to reinforcement your WordPress sites frequently. When in doubt and you can’t discover what is bringing on your site to go down, reinforcement your database and documents and afterward return to the last full stable reinforcement of your site.
At whatever point you introduce a WordPress plugin, you are adding extra code to your site by an engineer. The WordPress plugin registry records plugins that were produced by experienced designers and programming organizations and plugins by tenderfoots who are quite recently figuring out how to code. In this manner the nature of code being utilized differs enormously between plugins.
On the off chance that you don’t code yourself, you will be not able check the nature of code that is being utilized as a part of the plugin yourself. This does not imply that you ought to simply introduce plugins indiscriminately on your site. Secure yourself and check the surveys and remarks by different WordPress clients before you utilize another plugin. You can take this further and test all new plugins in a test WordPress establishment. This may appear like an agony to do, be that as it may it prevents you from getting any undesirable shocks on your live site.
Last, yet unquestionably not minimum, make certain to reinforcement routinely. As when things go truly terrible, it is your reinforcements that will spare you.
If you don’t mind take note of that not all plugin engineers react to bug reports. Many will put fault on the subject you are utilizing or another plugin you have introduced. While this occasionally is the situation, it can disappoint to need to retreat and fourth with the designer. Gratefully, the plugin market is large to the point that there are normally a few decent choices accessible to any plugin you are utilizing. In that capacity, if the plugin is carriage, uninstall it and search for a superior arrangement.
By Kevin Muldoon